Chronic Warriors Org is excited to welcome student volunteers (ages 13+) into our Summer Semester virtual volunteer program… and continuing through the 2021-2022 school year. Rising freshmen (and up) are eligible to earn Bright Futures community service hours for the time and tasks completed with us.
As we are a Florida-based non-profit, it is our mission to become a cherished place for high school students to volunteer. We were a virtual organization before it was trendy and we’ve been supporting those living with illnesses for years! Our hope is to invite students in to learn about the patient side of life with a longterm illness or rare disease so that they can become better providers to patients in their post-college careers. Though we are an online organization, we have standards and expectations of all students around work, communication, and accountability. We have seen how the students are impacted by helping others and we’re excited to continue expanding our programs.
We have two programs for high school students:
Cards2Warriors: This program is for students who want to earn up to 3 hours per month sending cards to patients in need some extra encouragement and cheer. These cards are for specific patients (we call them Warriors!) and all cards must be received by the deadline each month so that we can send them out. Additionally, each student will receive a warrior to support for a year, and be required to send one card per month to uplift and encourage them. It’s a long commitment… but illness is a lifelong journey and this program helps provide perspective!
Asher’s Assistants: (named for our baby phoenix mascot, Asher.) This is our Premier Program open to 50 students at a time who really want to volunteer and make more of a difference (not just earn service hours). In addition to having the opportunity to send cards to patients, these student volunteers have the opportunity to earn as many hours as they wish, engage with warriors monthly and more. A commitment of a minimum of 6 hours/month for at least 12 months is required to join this program.
Here’s how it works:
- Sign up on our website. (Please allow up to a week for processing).
- Receive an initial email.
- Attend a 15 min introductory zoom meeting.
- If you are selected to join us, you will receive an email with a welcome packet and important information.
Things to know before you sign up:
- Though we serve those living with illnesses, we are all about fun and lighthearted support!
- Because we are an online organization, we set expectations for students to adhere to so that we can sign off on all volunteer hours.
- Students will have an online hours log and be expected to check in and out.
- There is a biweekly zoom update meeting to keep all volunteers on track with projects.
- Students will keep a completed projects folder for verification of all work completed.
Students can apply for one of our volunteer spots here: https://chronicwarriors.org/get-involved/
TO ALL OF YOU: Thanks for being a part of this mission with us! Together, we are going to impact lives of illness warriors worldwide!
To corporations/organizations: We are seeking sponsors to partner with us for the summer and into the 2021-2022 school year. Our current opportunities can be seen in the pdf below and you can connect with us here. We look forward to chatting soon!