Chronic Warriors Org is excited to welcome student volunteers (ages 13+) into our virtual volunteer program for the 2021-2022 school year. Rising freshmen (and up) are eligible to earn Bright Futures community service hours for the time and tasks completed with us.
As we are a Florida-based non-profit, it is our mission to become a cherished place for high school students to volunteer. We were a virtual organization before it was trendy and we’ve been supporting those living with illnesses for years! Our hope is to invite students in to learn about the patient side of life with a longterm illness or rare disease so that they can become better providers to patients in their post-college careers. Though we are an online organization, we have standards and expectations of all students around work, communication, and accountability. We have seen how the students are impacted by helping others and we’re excited to continue expanding our programs.
We have two programs for high school students:
Cards2Warriors: This program is for students who want to earn volunteer hours each month sending cards to patients in need some extra encouragement and cheer. These cards are for specific patients (we call them Warriors!) and all cards must be sent by the deadline each month. Additionally, each student can choose to receive a specific warrior to support for a year, and will be required to send one card per month to uplift and encourage them. It feels like a long commitment… but illness is a lifelong journey and this program helps provide patient perspective!
Asher’s Assistants: (named for our baby phoenix mascot, Asher.) This is our Premier Program open to 50 students at a time who really want to volunteer and make more of a difference (not just earn service hours). In addition to having the opportunity to send cards to patients, these student volunteers have the opportunity to earn extra hours and engage with warriors monthly and more. A commitment of a minimum of 6 hours/month for at least 12 months is required to be part of this program.
Here’s how it works:
- Sign up on our website. (Please allow up to a week for processing).
- Receive an initial email.
- Schedule a 15 min introductory call.
- If you are selected to join us, you will receive an email with a welcome packet and important information.
Things to know before you sign up:
- Though we serve those living with illnesses, we are all about fun and lighthearted support!
- Because we are an online organization, we set expectations for students to adhere to so that we can sign off on all volunteer hours.
- Students will have an online hours log and be expected to check in on the Remind App.
- There is a biweekly zoom update meeting to keep all volunteers on track with projects.
- Students will be responsible for keeping their hours log + documentation of all cards and tasks for verification of work completed.
Students can apply for one of our volunteer spots here: https://chronicwarriors.org/get-involved/
TO ALL OF YOU: Thanks for being a part of this mission with us! Together, we are going to impact lives of illness warriors worldwide!
To corporations/organizations: We are seeking sponsors to partner with us for the summer and into the 2021-2022 school year. Our current opportunities can be seen in the pdf below and you can connect with us here. We look forward to chatting soon!